The backbone of the cycling community
I offer a wide array of Aluminum rims that can be built into just about any combination wheelset you can dream of. My current favorite series of rims is a series made by Kinlin. They call their alloy Niobium. Result? Deeper section rims with the low weight of a box section. Simply fill out the contact form to get a quote for your custom aluminum wheelset.
In this series I build frequently with:
XR-300 30mm deep rims. This rim is the workhorse of the line. It is by far my favorite. This rim has been great for all around applications from training to racing or even scores of miles burning up the century circuit.
I have placed this rim in just about every condition imaginable. I have had success with it under a myriad of riders who vary in weight up to and including 210 lb +. Over that and I tend to steer towards an even stouter rim.
XR-270 27mm deep. This is a frequent go-to choice for many. It offers more strength than the XR-200 and is slightly lighter than the XR-300. It makes a good choice for a front rim when paired with the XR-300 for the rear for lighter or smaller riders who feel like they get pushed around in the wind. Dont pick it simply for weight though. I have found many whose weight variance has overlapped the low end of the XR-300s weight range.
XR-200 19mm deep. Ultralight alloy rim. This rim is THE choice when you are building up a light race or climbing set. I have seen rider weight limits in the 190 range. On the surface I would agree with that, but its light weight is impressive and should only be used in the proper application.
TB-25 25mm deep tubular. A great all around choice for alloy tubulars. It is a very well made and strong rim.
Other rims I build:
In addition to the Kinlin series, I also frequently build wheelsets with (and highly recommend) some of the following manufacturers:
- DT Swiss
- A23 - This is my choice for the wider aluminum rim market. Like almost any variant I have sold I insist on riding them or putting one of my sponsored riders on them first. When I finally built up a set of A23's to try I had to grudgingly give them over to ex-pro Debbie Dust. Her response after beating them up for thousands of miles: "Butter. I LOVE them." Maybe I'll get a chance to try them someday...
- Deep V - A staple of the industry and a workhorse for riders who need that level of durability
- Major Tom Tubular - It's all about Ground Control! I personally tested Velocity's Major Tom Tubular rim during the 2010 Cyclocross season. I was so impressed I designed a large offering of cyclocross wheels with this rim as the main element for 2011.
- Sun Ringle
Common Hub Options (More Available Just Ask if you have something in mind!):
- Alchemy Wheel Works
- White Industries
- Chris King
- Phil Wood
- Novatech (division of Joytech)
- DT, all models but Competition are used most often
- Sapim, all models but CX Rays are used most often
- Powder Coated - PSIMET can paint your DT, Sapim, Wheelsmith or Pillar spokes to the color specification you prefer for a fee! Just ask!
- Don't like the PSIMET decals? No worries. You won't hurt my feelings. Ask me about different color options, adding extra decals, going stealth, or even going with something you dreamed up on your own.